A beautifully curated room instantly transforms into a retreat with the warm glow and pleasant aroma of a lit candle. However, the best candles can get pricey, so anything that can prolong the burn time is worth trying.
We understand how frustrating it is to find the perfect candle only to throw it out with unburned wax left over. Get the most out of your favorite candle with these tips and tricks.
How to Burn a Candle Evenly
The best way to extend the life of your candle is by ensuring a nice, even burn. If the candle doesn’t burn evenly, you will have leftover wax, even once the wick is gone.
So, here’s how to avoid that:
- Always allow the wax to melt to the edge before blowing out a candle. If there’s unmelted wax after use, the next time it’s burned, the candle will burn down rather than out. You can reduce your burn time by several hours if any wax remains unmelted. Here’s a pro tip – a candle with multiple wicks allows the wax to melt faster, so the entire surface will pool more quickly, leading to a more even burn.
- Use long matches or lighters so you don’t have to tip the candle when lighting the wick. This protects your fingers from burns and your candle from drips that could lead to an uneven surface.
- Keep the wick trimmed to ¼ to ½ inch. Longer wicks lead to hotter, faster burns, creating excessive smoke, sooting, and debris build-up. All of that can impact the evenness of the burn and affect the fragrance. Yikes!
- Avoid blowing out your candle. This can result in wax and debris spreading, which, as you may have guessed, can cause the candle to burn unevenly.
- We also suggest letting your candle cool completely between each use for the perfect, even burn.
Our Favorite Candle Accessories
Make your life easier with the proper tools for candle care.
For maintaining the wick length, use a wick trimmer. The long, angled design of the trimmer allows it to fit into just about any candle holder. And unlike scissors, the round tip catches the debris that builds up on the wick, preventing it from falling back into the candle. Use your trimmer after each burn session for optimal candle use.
For extinguishing a flame, there’s no better accessory than a candle snuffer. Not only does snuffing help with the evenness of your overall candle burn, but it also minimizes the amount of smoke, eliminating some of that burnt smell that comes with blowing out a candle.
And may we add that both of these accessories look beautiful when styled as decorative accents by your favorite candle? So chic!
Care for Your Candles with Our Set
If you love candles, you’ll want to properly care for them to get the best fragrance and the longest burn time. Follow these tips and get our candle accessories set containing a wick trimmer and candle snuffer in a stunning brushed silver finish.
Burn evenly, extinguish wisely, and enjoy the serenity that your favorite candle brings!